<$BlogRSDURL$>

Truth. Justice. Minesweeper.

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

"Let me ask you something," I said to Greyghost.

"What?"

"What's with super-powered women and cats?"

"What do you mean?"

"Okay. Before there were superheroes, there were superhero comic books, right?"

He nodded, once.

"I talked to a guy in a comic shop. This is the list, just off the top of his head, of all the female comic book characters he could think of who have cat superpowers or cat names or cat something. Hellcat. Wildcat. Catwoman. Tigra. Pantha. Cheetah. Night Cat. Shadowcat, whose real name is Kitty Pryde, so that's three cat names for one person. Cheshire. Alley-Kat-Abra. Black Cat. Catseye. That's a lot."

"Mm."

"But that's just comic books. In the real world, we've got Margay, in the Professionals. We've got Puma Girl down in Texas, Lioness in Chicago, Tawni in Florida and Copy-Cat in San Fran. We had Manxcat. We've got Prowl. Even Cassie got turned into a cat once."

"What's your question?"

"My question is, why is that? If cat powers are so common, why don't as many men have them?"

He didn't say anything for a moment. "I had never noticed the tendency before. My answer is, I don't know why. Do you have any idea?"

"Well, I know why it happens in comic books. It's because the unnaturally large-breasted comic book women look damn slinky in leopard spots."

"Go on."

"I don't know where to go on to. You don't get superpowers based on how you look in the uniform. Do you?"

"It isn't likely."

"And it isn't like it's that the feline look is necessary. Manxcat's costume was pretty generic. Prowl just wears regular clothes, a black jean jacket and a mask. Margay's the only one who looks like she should be playing tambourine behind Josie. I don't get it."

"You sound like you did in Lortraiea."

"When I said the place wasn't real? Yeah. I guess so. Except we know this place is real. So what's with all the cat women?"

He just shook his head.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?