<$BlogRSDURL$>

Truth. Justice. Minesweeper.

Saturday, June 05, 2004

This actually happened. And when I say, 'This actually happened,' I mean that it did.

Last week I was in the grocery store where Ron and I do our food shopping. I took my stuff up to the cash. The aisle where I was had a sign up above saying, "This aisle has no candy on display". The idea, of course, is that harried mothers can push their carts up to this aisle without having their squalling brats pester them for candy, because there is no candy. Perfectly reasonable, and even considerate. Except there was a bin of candy right there at the front of the aisle.

As the cashier was ringing everything through, I said, "How come your sign says that there's no candy on display when there's candy right there?"

She looked up at the sign and said, "Oh, that's for if you're shopping with a small child and you don't want him or her asking for candy while you're at the cash."

"That's a good idea," I said, patiently. "But there's candy right there."

She looked. I was right; there was.

"I'm terribly sorry, sir," she said, stricken. "I'll tell the manager about that."

So today when I went in there I expected to see the candy gone. But no; the candy was still there. They had, however, taken the sign down.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?